Thursday, November 20, 2008

Truth in Postmodern Society*

Truth -the very word has been reduced to antiquity in postmodern thought. Many refer to the word in past tense as though its presence has left the world long ago; however these same people also refer to it in passing. The most staunch relativist will always slip into set phrases: "He is the right man for the job," or, "that was the wrong thing to do." The dichotomy between intentions and actions toward the same, previously simple word leaves us with the unavoidable question: is truth practical, or even possible?

I believe that in each particular situation there is a right and wrong. But this is not relativism. Though I may deny broad and sweeping rules which exist for all people in all situations, I do not recant that Truth itself exists. When an individual is faced with a choice, there is either a correct or incorrect way to respond; or else every choice we make in this life is of no consequence. This is not a false dichotomy fallacy -it applies to every facet of life. In Wonderland, Alice asks the Cheshire cat which way she should go, but is unsure of her destination. His logically sound response is that it does not matter which choice she makes. Analogously, if we are unsure of the existence of Truth, all choices are equally valid.

How can we say that "Truth is relative," a statement which is absolute, and not see the inherent contradiction? I submit that the word IS should not exist for deniers of Truth. The moment any relativist tells someone that he or she is wrong, he denies his very philosophy. As unpopular as unpopular as universality may have become in today's society, its merits are undeniable. Thoreau once said, "Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." It is this, our transcendentalist roots, which at least partially endows us with the inexorable drive for truth-seeking. The existence of Truth is what we realize. 'To be true or to be false' is less the issue than simply 'to be or not to be?'

*Truth, in this paragraph, I define as something which is in accordance with transcendent, fundamental, and spiritual reality.

4 comments:

Kevin M. Schultze said...

So I wrote a huge response to this already and somehow it got deleted or lost so I will try again lol...

I liked it, if I ever get my laptop working I will post what I wrote on truth a while back. I think I will at least, I need to look over it. That way we can collaborate. One thing I do have to say is work on communicating and choosing your audience. You may want to bring it down a hair, to me the writing style seems a little too aloof or "literary." Then again that could just be me.

"I believe that in each particular situation there is a right and wrong. But this is not relativism. Though I may deny broad and sweeping rules which exist for all people in all situations, I do not recant that Truth itself exists. When an individual is faced with a choice, there is either a correct or incorrect way to respond; or else every choice we make in this life is of no consequence." --That was my favorite part. I think there is a lot of room for expansion here, especially in giving example of situations of Truth with a capital T, right and wrong, and those situations you mentioned that do not merit "broad and sweeping rules." You briefly touch on it, but I think thats an area we could explore, and Lord willing explain some that could be of some beneficial knowledge.

Peace

JFM said...

Too literary? Pish tosh to that bollicks.

I enjoy your overly pedantic tone, Lee, and encourage you to continue writing thusly.

I was reminded reading your post of the opening arguments in C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity wherein he set the foundational idea of moral law and how such a concept influences rational thought leading in any direction (not unlike your argument regarding is.)

tuce63 said...

Kevin, I shall endeavor henceforth to appropriate the proper nomenclature and terminology for the audience to which I seek and thus avoid any verbosity so that I may forgo your malediction.

JFM, Of course Clive is an inspiration for this post (and many regarding Truth). Postmodernism/relativism basically defeat themselves by asserting their existence -heck even atheists seldom subscribe to their beliefs.

Kevin M. Schultze said...

Ah come on you know i lub u

John does bring up a good point with Lewis. That's a great tie in. Sometimes when I feel like God gives me some revelation, some sparkling truth, I reread a Lewis book and find that he already has said it...and much better